Nowadays we are using mobile phone for everything, and in addition we give it Access to many parts of our life: emails, SMS, contacts, pictures, social media… Therefore it is very important to be protected so that our privacy is not compromised.
Did you know…
- Smart phones already are the target of 60% of global cyber attacks.
- The amount of malware for phones detected has increased 62% since the pandemic started.
- An estimated 85% of companies have been a victim of phishing scams over the phone.
- Several studies have concluded that the most used PIN code (and also the easiest to hack) is 123456
How can I protect my phone?
- Make sure it is blocked. This may sound very simple, but blocking the phone is the first line of defence. Facial recognition, fingerprint or 6-digit PIN code are the best ways to block the phone. The patterns can be guessed easily since these leave a trace on the screen.
- Use trusted application shops. It´s easy to download an app that offers interesting features, but it is important to always use trusted sources, otherwise you risk downloading malware directly to your phone. If you are not sure, simply use Google Play or App Store.
- Control the application permissions. Obviously, a map application will need to know your location, but does a puzzle game need access to your pictures? If you give permission for everything, you will unnecessarily share your personal data.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi networks or hotspots. There are usually open and unprotected, which means that anyone can access the network and see what you are doing when connected, so you if you must use bank or private messaging applications, it´s better to wait until you are connected to a secure network.
- Do not click unknown links. If you not sure of the source of the link, do not open it, or contact that person directly to find out about it.
- Consider using VPN. Most smart phones have encryption, but if you wish to add an additional layer, a VPN offers that and more. That way you can use any network in a secure and private way, even the public ones.