Today, February 7th, is the Safe Internet Day. This day is promoted in Spain by the INSAFE/INHOPE network, and it is guarded by the European Commission. The objective is to make Internet a place of opportunities for the children and the Young, where they can participate, create and share in a positive and free manner, in addition to promoting awareness of the responsible use of the technology and Internet, new tools and systems to be cautious of the fake news, and to inform about cybersecurity and fraud avoiding systems to make Internet a better and safer place for everyone.
Grupo Telecable is committed to Internet security, and we are aware that this is a difficult task, but we also know that together we can make it. Therefore, in this article we wish to give you some tips so you can reduce the risks when online.
First, you must know that to use the Internet safely you must have your antivirus software up to date, as well as your browser. Virus, malware and phishing software are updating all the time, launching new threats, and therefore it is important to have the latest version of your browser and the antivirus, with all the updates and patches.
Once your computer or device is protected, please follow this series of precautions to avoid problems:
- Before making an online purchase, make sure you are on the correct web site for the shop you are dealing with, and that the address starts with https. It is also recommended to check the privacy policies of the site, and to use payment methods such as PayPal or prepaid payment cards.
- Avoid using public networks, especially if you must type in passwords or bank details.
- Do not trust emails if you have doubts about the sender, and never click on links or open attachments if you are unsure about where these come from.
- Increase the security of your passwords, avoid using the same passwords for all your accounts, and when creating passwords, it is recommended to use capital letters, numbers and symbols.
- When installing software, do not give permissions without considering this carefully. When allowing access to your location, microphone, camera, contacts, calls, etc, you are giving free access to this information for other people.
- If you must use a computer that is not yours, make sure to log out of all applications or accounts you entered when you leave the computer. This avoids the next person from accessing your accounts.
- And, most importantly, be aware of any information you give out in the social media. We often give out information that may be used by people with bad intentions.
Internet usage is something we have to take care of together, and educate the children to be aware of the dangers if it is not used properly.
And if you wish to enjoy a trusted Internet service, please contact us so we can give you information about our speeds, prices and conditions:
Phone: 966 196 000